Officially declared open in 1905, the original
name of this college was the Malay Residential School and was allowed only to the children
of the Royal family and those of higher ranking Malay dignitaries and officers of the
The name "Maktab Melayu", or Malay College, was adopted by the
school in 1909 and has remained unchanged since then.
Built in the classical architectural tradition that was so popular among the designers of
the early colonial days of Malaya, the building displays grand columns, decorated
pediments and other features typical of its neo-classical design. Set amidst rolling green
grounds, it has the atmosphere of an Enlist village setting.
During the Second World War
when the Japanese occupied colonial Malay, the Malay College was turned into an
administrative office for the Japanese Imperial Army. People who were suspected
against the Army were interrogated here and many subsequently beheaded.
elite centre of learning